Packing in preparation for a big move can be time-consuming, labor-intensive, and stressful. Whether you move around frequently or are relocating to a new place for the first time in a long time, it’s still easy to get overwhelmed with stress when it’s time to start packing all your belongings away. However, there are certain things that you can do that can make packing faster, easier, and more efficient. Here are a few of them:
- Get help from the professionals. When packing certain items, you might need a specialist’s help in doing so. Dangerous chemicals, large equipment, and ornate antiques might be hard to safely pack and transport all by yourself. In this case, you might want to consider hiring packing services providers who can effectively pack these items without putting you or your family at risk.
- Don’t empty out your drawers. Keep your socks, underwear, and other belongings in the drawers instead of taking them out and packing them separately. Just take your drawers out of the dresser, wrap it in plastic, and put them back. The moving company can take care of the rest. You can have some peace of mind knowing that your clothes will be safe and secure and your boxes can be used for something else.
- Optimize your soft items. Don’t just pack away linens, pillows, clothes, and towels. They can function as shock absorbers for your other items. Use them to wrap up sharp and breakable items and line boxes with them for additional cushioning. Secure them using rubber bands so they don’t unravel during transit.
- Leave hangers on your clothes. Skip the unnecessary steps of unhanging your clothes, packing them, and hanging them up again in your new place by leaving them on their hangers. Just group your clothes together, tie the hangers together, and store the clothes in a large garbage bag or a wardrobe box. This way, they’re already ready to hang up in your new place.
- Repurpose pots for smaller items. Instead of packing utensils, spices, and kitchen gadgets in their own boxes, use your pans for them instead. Fill up your pots and other sealable containers with these items to save space. Just make sure to bundle and wrap these small items to keep them from breaking during the move.
- Use plastic wrap or waterproof bags for items that might spill. Toiletries and cleaning supplies can spill during transit and ruin your belongings. Secure them beforehand by wrapping their nozzles and lids in plastic wrap or keeping them in waterproof bags to contain the mess and prevent them from contaminating anything.
- Organize your boxes and keep them in check. Sometimes, packing effectively is also about ensuring that the unpacking process won’t be as stressful either. Make sure you know what’s in every box by color-coding them based on the room or area the contents are from. You can also take pictures of what’s in every box so looking for a specific item is easier as well.
- Use your suitcase for heavier items. While you’re not exactly going on a trip, your large suitcase can still come in handy when packing for a move. Put heavier items such as thick books, large serving dishes, and small gym equipment in them so you can simply roll them around without having to carry them and hurt yourself.
- Create a pull tab on boxes using wool string. If cutting boxes open isn’t your thing, you can make your packing boxes easier to open by putting in a pull tab yourself. Place a long piece of wool string on top of the closed box tabs and tape over it. Leave excess string on both sides so you can just pull the boxes open when it’s time to unpack them.
- Put together a moving essentials bag. Keep all important items accessible to you at all times by packing them in a duffel bag. Your moving essentials should include all your official documents, medications, chargers, towels and diapers if you have an infant, basic toiletries, and a change of clothes. Doing this ensures that you can get these items right away if you need them.
Packing is one of the activities that make moving extremely stressful. Fortunately, there are lots of ways to go about it so you save time while keeping your belongings protected. We hope you found these packing tips useful for your upcoming move.