Transporting your items from one place to another takes a lot of work and more often than not, not enough time. Thus, for people with tight schedules, renting a PODS moving container seems like the perfect option. You have more flexibility on loading items and the choice of whether to move or store the container. Before you book a schedule with PODS, here’s a rundown of the crucial info you need to know.
What Is PODS?
PODS is an acronym for “Portable on Demand Services.” The company started in the 90s and has since then transformed into one of the most reputable brands in finding moving and storage services.
The key distinction between PODS and other moving companies is the amount of time it allows customers to load their items. You can rent the moving container for as long as you need, then call the company again to arrange a pick-up for storage or moving.
What are PODS Moving Containers?
The moving containers that PODS offers are rectangular vessels enforced with steel and are built to last in any weather conditions. They also have steel roll-up doors and locks, which offers access and security for customers.
The containers come in three lengths: 7, 12, and 16 feet. All of them have the same widths and heights (8 x 8 feet). Customers can choose from any of the available sizes, depending on how many items they’re loading and how the container will be used. On that note, bear in mind that the 12-foot container is often designated for storage while the 7- and 16-foot containers are available for short and long distance moves.
How Does the Renting Process Work?
To give you a better idea of how the renting process works, here’s an example of how the general renting process works.
- State the purpose of your rent to the company, whether for storage or moving items.
- Choose the drop-off location and date, as well as the moving destination, if applicable.
- Once the container is delivered, load your items inside. You can do this as quickly or as slowly as you like. Just keep in mind that the renting cost only applies for 30 days.
- After loading, call the company for pick-up and have the container moved for storage or relocation.
How Much Does It Cost?
The costs of renting a PODS container varies. There are several factors to consider, including the size of the container, the duration of rent, and the distance of the move.
Charges fall into two major categories: the rent of the container and the transportation fees. For example, the set rate for renting a 12-foot container is $110 a month. After the 30 days are up, you’ll have to pay again to continue renting it. The $110 does not cover the transportation costs, such as dropping off, picking up the container, and bringing it to your moving destination. The charges for the latter highly depend on the distance.
Keep in mind that local taxes, insurance, and other subsidies are not yet part of these costs. To have an accurate quote, go to the PODS website to answer a questionnaire or contact their customer representative directly.
Pros and Cons of Renting PODS Moving Containers
Like any other service, using a PODS container has its own advantages and disadvantages. Consider the following points if you’re thinking about renting one.
Perks of Using a PODS Container
- Convenience. POD containers can be dropped off right in front of your home, making it easier to load and unload your possessions.
- Flexibility. You have more control over the duration and method of loading up your items.
- Affordability. Depending on distance, renting a PODS container is usually more affordable than hiring a full-service company.
- Costs. Moving charges do not depend on the weight of your items, unlike most moving companies.
Cons of Using a PODS Container
- Set Rate. The cost of rent for the container is the same even if you don’t finish the 30 days.
- Costs. Depending on the specifics of your move, renting a PODS container can potentially be more expensive than hiring a moving company. Thus, make sure to get quotes first from PODS and other movers and compare before settling on one company.
Make sure to take these points into account before deciding on whether to rent a PODS container for your move.
Tips in Renting PODS Containers
If you do decide on using a PODS container, keep the following tips in mind to maximize its use and ensure a safe move for your items.
- Avoid booking a drop-off at the last minute. Book it at least a week before your desired schedule.
- While loading, evenly distribute the weight of your possessions across the container, with the heavy ones on the bottom and the light ones on the top.
- Load necessities like toiletries and clothes last to easily access them upon opening the container.
- Don’t place valuables and important documents inside the PODS container. Keep them with you throughout the move.
- If you can’t decide between two sizes, go for the bigger container. It’s better to overestimate the number of your possessions rather than lack space while loading.
Relocating to another place is a significant milestone in people’s lives. It is as exciting as it can be stressful. To ensure a more comfortable and easier move, do your research and find the right moving method for you. Whether you choose to rent a PODS container or hire a moving company, pack smart and get extra help, as needed. With these in mind, you can make the most of your resources and safely move to your next home.