Congratulations on the sale of your home! Not only can you move out in peace now, but you also have a bit more money when you start over in your new home. Now comes the not-so-glamorous part of selling your house: moving all of your belongings and transferring everything to the new place. Getting everything sorted out and packed up before the moving truck arrives can be stressful, but there are ways that you can organize and simplify the process to prevent yourself from getting overwhelmed. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Let the pros handle your furniture. Of the many things to pack away after selling your home, furniture is probably one of the most cumbersome to take care of. They are usually heavy and large items that often need to be tied down with tethers and wrapped in furniture blankets to ensure their safe transport. You’ll have to carry them around a lot too. If you’re not the strongest person out there and can’t imagine how you’d move all your furniture by yourself, consider getting furniture moving services, so you can get professional assistance. These movers have the training and experience needed to properly take care of your furniture safely and securely. There are also piano moving services available if you want to move your instruments.
- Focus on one area at a time. Since packing up your home after selling it is more of a cleanup, it helps to look at it that way too. It makes the job seem less daunting. So you can begin by dividing the work on a room-by-room basis. Select one room in your home and put your effort into packing up everything in it. By focusing on one place at a time, your belongings will be more organized as you pack them. You can also try to go and hire movers with packing services for an easier time.
Just make sure to label the boxes so you know what’s in them and make unpacking easier. Aside from making packing easier, dividing the work can expedite the process because you can assign certain family members or friends to take care of one room each.
- Move sealed and labeled boxes to the loading area right away. When moving day comes along, having all the boxes in one area so you and the movers can load it into the truck with ease. Once you’re done packing up one area of your home and the boxes are already labeled, move it to this spot already. Doing so can help you keep track of how much progress you’ve made in terms of packing everything up. After all, the last thing that you want is to be stressed out and frenzied on the day of the big move. Having all the boxes of everything you plan to bring in one place can give you some much-needed peace of mind.
- Be ruthless about what to keep and what to toss. As you’re packing away your stuff, take it as an opportunity to do a bit of decluttering as well. You don’t have to bring everything with you to the new home, and this is a good opportunity to decide which things you plan on keeping. While going through your things, try not to dwell on things too much so you don’t waste time. If the item is no longer useful and does not have significant sentimental value, it’s probably time to let it go. Anything that you fully intend to keep should go into a separate group.
Of course, you might end up with some belongings in the middle that you’re not sure about keeping or tossing. That should be its own pile. Focus on packing and organizing everything else and return to it at the end of the day to give it a second look. If you think that something can be repaired or used by someone else in your family, then consider keeping it for longer. Any item that does not make you feel either of these things is better off being left behind.
- Keep a master list of everything you packed. Many people often forget to do this step or make the mistake of packing this list with everything else. However, having a master list of everything you plan to bring to your new home is about thinking ahead. While it won’t make too much of a difference when you’re packing, the master list can help make unpacking so much easier once you get to your new home. You can work on this list as you’re packing up your belongings so it’s as accurate and as complete as possible.
Moving after the successful sale of your home can be an exciting but stressful experience. By following these tips, you can preserve your sanity and ensure that everything will be properly packed and ready to go on moving day.